A day late, but worth the wait. It’s…..
This week we are back to Nikki’s pick, and I have to say, I whole-heartedly agree with this one. If she hadn’t picked him, I would have, which doesn’t always happen on this blog. (she doesn’t understand my obsession with Letang’s hair, but really, you get it or you don’t, right?)
He was the hero in the last Pens/Flyers game, scoring the winning goal. And let me just add in here, that as a Rangers fan, it hurts to root for the Flyers. But you all know how we feel here at the 5 Hole about Crosby, and though we love Tanger and Nealer, we know we can beat the Flyers in the playoffs, and so in the strange world that is Playoff Hockey, we vote for the the Flyers. Yeah, it’s weird. But I digress….
This guy wasn’t always a Flyer, though. In fact, he’s one of the most famous Penguins of all time, and was also the captain of the Rangers. He was the Malkin to the Crosby, the talented foreigner who took a backseat to the crybaby Canadian, and without whom the Pens wouldn’t have won the Cup. He also holds a ton of Ranger records, and I think was given the shaft by the NY team who were cleaning out their high-priced house. He is the phoenix who rises again to have a career at 40, out-skating kids half his age. For Sexy Saturday this week, we give you:
Vitals: Born February 15, 1972, Kladno, Czechoslovakia. 6’3″, 240 lbs. Girlfriend Inna Puhajkova.
Nickname(s): Jags, Jammy, Jagrmeister. Puff Nuts (I have NO idea where this came from). Mario Jr. (this is an anagram of “Jaromir” and it refers to Lemieux, who was his mentor)
Current team: Philadelphia Flyers. Right Wing. Shoots left.
Fancy awards: (straight off Wikipedia, I wasn’t typing all this shit out)
- Stanley Cup Winner – 1991, 1992 (Pittsburgh)
- Hart Trophy (MVP) – 1999
- Finalist: 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006
- Art Ross Trophy (Leading point scorer) – 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
- Lester B. Pearson Award (Players’ MVP) – 1999, 2000, 2006
- NHL First Team All-Star – 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006
- Flagbearer for the Czechia Olympic Team Flagbearer for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.
- Olympic gold medal winner for the Czech Republic in the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano
- Olympic bronze medal for the Czech Republic in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin
- IIHF World Champion – 2005, 2010
- IIHF European Club Champion – 2005
- IOC “Sport, inspiring young people” Trophy – 2011
- Golden Stick Award (1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011) holder, which is the highest trophy an ice hockey player can get in the Czech Republic. When he won his 6th Golden Stick in 2005, he surpassed Dominik Hašek for the most such awards in Czech and Czechoslovak history; and in 2011, he won his 10th.
- Czech Sportsman of the Year 2005, a trophy awarded by journalists in the Czech Republic
- IIHF World Championship All-Star Team – 2004, 2005 and 2011
- IIHF World Championship directorate award winner (best forward) – 2011
- In 1998 he was ranked number 37 on The Hockey News’ list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players. This made him the highest-ranked player to have been trained outside Canada. Jagr, who was only 26 at the time, was additionally the second-youngest player on the list, older only than 25-year-old, No. 54-ranked Eric Lindros.
These records are as of the end of the 2007–08 season (Jágr’s last NHL season before the current (2011–12) season).
- Most assists by a rookie in Stanley Cup Finals (1991) – 5
- Most regular season points by a right wing (1995–96) – 149
- Most regular season assists by a right wing (1995–96) – 87
- Most regular season points by a European born and trained player (1995–96) – 149
- Most regular season points by a player born outside of Canada (1995–96) – 149
- Most all-time regular season points by a European born and trained player – 1599
- Most all-time regular season goals by a European born and trained player – 646
- Most all-time overtime goals – 16
- Most consecutive 30-goal seasons (1991–2007) – 15 (Shared with Mike Gartner, including the shortened 1994–95 NHL season, 48 games)
- Most consecutive 70-or-more point seasons (15) (including the shortened 1994–95 NHL season, 48 games)
New York Ranger Records:
- Most regular season goals by a Rangers player (2005–06) – 54
- Most regular season points by a Rangers player (2005–06) – 123
- Most regular season power play goals by a Rangers player (2005–06) – 24
- Most regular season shots on goal by a Rangers player (2005–06) – 368
- Most regular season game-winning goals by a Rangers player (2005–06) – 9 (tied with Mark Messier 1996–97 and Don Murdoch 1980–81)
- Most regular season goals by a Rangers right wing (2005–06) – 54
- Most regular season assists by a Rangers right wing (2005–06) – 69
- Most regular season points by a Rangers right wing (2005–06) – 123
Needless to say, Jagr is a BAMF. That list is insane.
Cool trivia: Wears the number 68 to commemorate the year of the Prague Spring rebellion in Czechoslovakia against the Soviet Union. His grandfather was jailed for refusing to work his farm for the Communists for free, and died that same year. Has an older sister, and loves to play tennis. His favorite bands are Bon Jovi and Metallica. Is a known prankster, and even put on a wig and pretended to be a teammate’s girlfriend. Is addicted to Kit Kat bars, and has a history of profligate gambling.
Now let me just say before I get started, there is A TON of stuff out there on Jaromir. I was spoiled for choice, but that just made it harder. I spent hours (poor me) collecting stuff, then realized there was no way it would all fit in a reasonable-sized post. I’ve already picked more photos than I have for anyone else. So I may just keep some for a repeat SS in the future. Or I may just encourage you all to go out and Google till your eyes bleed like I did, and enjoy it all. What do you think, buddy?
I say both. You can't get enough of me!
Did I mention he was 40? Yeah, and just like me, he’s gotten sexier as he gets older. So we are gonna save the mullet years for last, and go backwards chronologically. But first, lets get all the SEXY photos out of the way. Show us some skin, Jags….
"Hello? Yes, I am a god. And I'm holding my balls. Excuse me, it is my serve."
Jagr and Plekanec going on a ride....
THE THIGHS! HOCKEY PLAYER THIGHS!
I like to show off the thighs and skate in my shorts.
I feel no cold...I am not human...
"I have hood like Darth Maul. I am dark Jedi."
Hockey is fun! Face-off is fun!
Yeah, I'm Mr. New York.
The MULLET years!
"I got two Stanley Cup rings. I dare you to make fun of my hair"
"I have my own peanut butter! It makes your hair curly!"
"Dude, Mario, my mullet is sooo much better than yours."
Fans doing the 3 Mullets.
Baby Jags, awww
And yes, he’s figured out the Twitter!
So Jags knows math and bears -- or is that naked girls?
Jags, the Fire Chief!
There is also a movement out there…..here, let me show you the t-shirt first:
There are a bunch out there, but I liked this one best:
And last but not least, your weekly 1 degree of Henrik Lundqvist:
Petr Prucha is the cream filling in this sexy European cookie. Gotta love crotch shots. Hank and Jags can't sit next to each other, or the seats may catch on FIRE.
Oh my goodness, I’m EXHAUSTED!! That was a ton of stuff. Yet only the tip of the iceberg. I guess that’s what happens when you’ve been a legend for over 20 years. I hope y’all enjoyed it. So until next week……Hey Jags, how about giving us your famous Salute to send us off?